Friday, May 22, 2009

Have we got over the 'R' word?

Three months ago every single fundraising, direct response, marketing blog talked almost daily about that big bad, dirty word.

You know, the 'R' word. Do I need to say it?

Recession.

In fact you will remember I imposed a ban on that nasty word for a week back in January.

So, what's happened since then?

Social media seems to have replaced the economy as the buzz topic. And let's face it, that's not a bad thing.

I figure we have all just decided to 'get over it' and crack on with business. Which is great, because that's the message many of us were trying to get across. Don't worry about things you can't control and just do the things you know you should do. Simple.

In fact I've refused to allow the 'R' word to creep into my vernacular. Not when discussing my client's fundraising programs, or when I talk to my board about the progress of my agency.

I just don't see the point. It's tough, yes. But I believe in knocking down barriers, not building them for ourselves. It can be a cop out at times.

Anyway, I'm glad we seem to have moved on and have got back to focusing on what we do best, fundraising.

Jonathon

2 comments:

Justin Van Leeuwen said...

Not once, in our DM pieces since "R" hit the media, did we use or say it. Oh yes, it was proposed - and often did I hear a sentence begin (and thus my cringing too) "In these difficult economic times."

Not everyone is having difficult times, and if they are, they don't need me to tell them about it - I'm fundraising for "X" and "X" is still important so let's get down to business shall we and I'll do my best to convey a story about "X" that will let you know that, no matter how tough it is for you, it's tougher for someone else.

Jonathon Grapsas said...

Well said. And I'm glad you didnt mention it in your DM, all tesing I saw around that showed it supressed response.

Jonathon