Saturday, March 20, 2010

Are you thirsty?

Someone asked me recently, 'Is there a common thread in really successful people'?

Good question.

Yes there is. And for me it's simple. It's an insatiable thirst for improving ones self and learning more. Every single day.

One of my favorite quotes is from Drayton Bird, who believes firmly that the road to failure is paved with success, something I talked about sometime back.

In other words, never feeling as if you're quite there. Always lifting yourself out of your comfort zone.

The common rebuttal when I talk to people about their own personal development is "I don't have time".

Garbage.

We all 'have time'. In fact we all have the same amount of time. We just choose to use it in different ways. And going back to the original question posed to me, successful, brilliant and inspiring people make the time to get more from themselves.

So enough ranting Jonathon, how do I learn more?

Two thing's I'd suggest:

1 Surround yourself with 'thirsty' people. Gets you out of the 'I don't have time' destructive mentality, and

2 Make the time. Find the time in your schedule to reach out to those who you can absorb from. To read, listen and soak stuff up.

In this day and age, it doesn't necessarily mean days and days away from home at professional development events/conferences. But it does mean spending 20-30 minutes every single day checking out blogs, reading articles, talking to those who teach and inspire you.

And best of all, most done from the comfort of your desk.

Jonathon

No comments: